Monday 24 January 2011

my-little-pony

This is my pony, Deirdre. I bought her in Easter 2007 which seems so long ago now!!
I have ridden since I can remember and always dreamed of having my own horse. I had lessons at foxes riding school. We looked at atleast 20 horses before we found her at a little dealers yard in Blackpool. Not the nicest and definitely not the poshest. She was perfect though, an angel in the stable and not a 'plod' to ride. The woman sold us to her as 'a safe, fun pony' and she told us in her words 'I'm not selling her to you as a pony who'll win you rosettes or do clear rounds showjumping.'
She didn't see the potential.. we did!
The day to pick her up arrived and Dad borrowed a trailer from a collegue at work, I remember the 'tummy flipping' moment when I kept on turning around on the way home to see if she was still there!
Arriving at our new yard we all looked at each other.. shocked and surprised at the fact we had horse!!
The first dilema came when trying to get her out of the trailer... then when in her stable what to do.. how to muck out.. what to feed her.. if her tack fits ECT ECT!!!!

The first two years Dee came on in leaps and bouds, the pony who would never jump clear ALWAYS jumped clear!! But in January 2009 she had a freak accident in the field and displaced a tendon. I was heartbroken she might not of ever been able to be ridden again.. never mind jump. After a whole year  off (in which we bought a new horse who then turn out to be a nut case and had to be given back) I could finally ride her again.
No sedatives or calmers I just put the tack on her and got on. The perfect pony she is.. she walked around like an angel. On February the 1st 2010 I could finally trot her for the first time in over a year. And in June our vet Julia said it would be ok to jump her very very small.
Since then I have been to 2 combined training classes at foxes, coming third in the first and then second! And been hacking to Kelsal and around Christleton.



This weekend I am hoping to go to tushingham showjumping and if that is successful I want to do more competing this year, below is one of my favourite photos of her showjumping. Sadly our vet has told us she will never jump this high again :(, but I refuse to give up on her!

No comments:

Post a Comment